Farmers Signal Review for 2022
Farmers Signal is good for safe drivers with low mileage. Drivers who don’t score well may face increased premiums, so consider the pros and cons in this Signal app review before signing up.
Compare Quotes Now
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Jun 21, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident auto insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one auto insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider. Our auto insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different auto insurance companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
- Farmers Signal uses mileage, braking, speed, time of the trip, and phone usage to calculate driving scores
- Drivers will receive an initial discount on their premium when they sign up with Farmers Signal
- Farmers Signal may increase drivers’ premiums at renewal for risky driving behaviors
If you have a Farmer’s car insurance policy, you can sign up for the Farmers Signal program. Farmers Signal is a usage-based discount program that tracks trips and calculates discounts. Like any pay-per-mile car insurance program for car insurance discounts, however, there are pros and cons to Farmers Signal.
So is the app worth it? To find out, read our Signal app review and learn more about its pros and cons, how the app works, and if it is worth downloading. Be sure to compare it with similar programs like Drive Safe and Safe and GEICO DriveEasy to decide if Farmers Signal is for you.
Pros of Farmers Signal
So what are the benefits of signing up with the Farmers Signal app? Below are the pros that we found when researching the Farmers Signal program.
- App has decent reviews. The app has decent customer reviews on Apple and Google, with over four out of five stars on both sites.
- Crash safety feature. Farmers Signal has a crash assist program that helps drivers after an accident.
- Free to sign up. If you have a Farmers car insurance policy, it is free to sign up for the Farmers Signal app.
- Initial discount. You earn an initial discount just for signing up for the Farmers Signal app. Young drivers get a higher discount.
- Provides feedback on driving. You get feedback on your trip after each trip, which can help you readjust your driving to improve your score.
There are a number of great pros to Farmers Signal, especially the crash assist feature on the app, as Farmers can contact authorities for help if you’re in a crash.
Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Cons of Farmers Signal
Naturally, there are cons in addition to the pros of the Farmers Signal app. Let’s take a look at the cons of the Farmers Signal program below.
- Premiums can increase. Farmers Signal says that premiums can increase at renewal for risky driving behaviors.
- App glitches and bugs. Some users have complained about bugs and glitches where the app doesn’t properly record trip distances, speed, or braking.
- Not offered in all states. The Farmers Signal app isn’t yet available in all states in the U.S. So, if you move, you may not be able to continue earning discounts with the app.
- Have to call to delete trips. If you forget to turn off the app when not driving, like when taking a bus, there is no easy way to delete the trip other than calling the insurance company.
The biggest con of the Farmers Signal app is that it could harm your auto insurance coverage premiums, even though the whole purpose of the app is to earn drivers a discount. If you consistently earn a poor driving score on the app, you could end up with higher premiums than when you downloaded the app. In such a case, you may want to consider high-risk auto insurance instead.
How the Discounts and App Work
Drivers will receive an initial discount when they sign up for the app. This discount is usually from five to 10%, depending on who is signing up. Younger drivers usually receive a higher initial discount for signing up with the usage-based program.
After the initial discount, how much drivers save depends on their score with the app. Unfortunately, Farmers doesn’t explicitly state the highest discount that drivers can earn on its site. Still, drivers can probably expect to earn at least 25 percent off their policy since this is typical of most insurance companies’ usage-based programs.
The app tracks your trips to determine the percentage to take off your policy. How your discount is calculated depends on the following driving factors:
- Time of trip. The app tracks when you drive during high-risk times, such as at night or during rush hour.
- Braking. Signal will monitor your braking and watch for hard braking incidents.
- Speeding. The app will record any speeding incidents on your trips.
- Phone usage. If you use your phone during the trip, the app will record it as distracted driving.
- Mileage. Signal keeps track of your mileage, as drivers who drive less are less likely to crash.
These factors will go into determining your driving score, which in turn determines your discount from Farmers. Farmers Signal also automatically enters any drivers with a qualifying driving score into a $100 reward drawing every month.
Because Farmers Signal tracks your location and records data about you to determine your discount, make sure that you review Signal’s privacy and data sharing policy beforehand to make sure you are comfortable with how your data is used.
The Final Word on the Farmers Signal App
Farmers Signal is worth it for safe drivers with low mileage, as it can earn them a discount on their premiums. Besides the initial discount, you can continue earning money off your policy premiums each term.
However, it is probably best to hold off getting the app if you struggle with hard braking, speeding, or driving late at night. Consistently scoring low on a driving score could result in higher premiums next policy term.
If you want to find savings on auto insurance, it is best to shop around using a free quote comparison tool to find the best car insurance rates in your area.