Regardless of what many people like to joke about it may not be more expensive to buy auto insurance for women. In fact, women are thought to be more cautious and less likely to speed. With a little extra quote comparing you may be able to find even better deals when it comes to getting car insurance as a female driver.
Here are a few quick things you should know about when you go to buy auto insurance for women:
- The good news is that even younger drivers who are female can see slightly better rates. Young and first time drivers are among those who see the most expensive rates for car insurance. That is because young drivers are considered “high risk” because they lack driving experience. For women however the rates drop at around 21 whereas it usually remains higher for young men until age 25. Of course this still depends on your individual driving record so be sure to keep your history clean.
- Women over 50 with good driving records are among the lowest cost category when it comes to getting a car insurance policy. The only concern can be as you move past 50 you could start to have issues with sight or reaction time that could lead to issues. Keep an eye out to make sure your driving habits do not change so you can remain a safe and low cost to insure driver.
- Some companies are moving towards offering women only car insurance policies. The reason for this is that studies have shown women tend to be a lower risk to insure. By focusing on female drivers as clients insurance policy providers realize they are at a lower risk for having to pay out on costly claims. This type of move can help the insurance companies save money as well as the drivers getting cheaper premiums.
Some Tips About Insurance for Women Drivers
The best way to save money when you buy auto insurance for women is to be aware of ways you can save on your rates. Aside from the obvious which is it keep a clean driving record there are some other things you should do to get the lowest rates possible:
- Believe it or not for some policy providers you can still get good rates for accident-free rates even if you were in an accident. Most policy providers still increase your rates if you were in an accident but not at fault. If you are in this situation see if you can find lower rates with an insurance provider that does not penalize you for being in an accident in which you were not the at fault driver.
- If you have had an accident or ticket make sure you alert your insurance provider after a three year time has lapsed. In most cases infractions like this come off of your record after three years and this impacts your premiums. Also, once you know something like this has come off of your record you should really take the time to get rate comparisons. Don’t assume you are getting the best rates or settle for taking the policy you already have when getting quotes is now so much easier.
- You should also be aware of other things that can help you have lower rates when you buy auto insurance for women. Getting married for instance is one thing that will actually help lower your car insurance rates too. If you are a student, you may be eligible for a student discount. In fact some auto insurance providers also offer discounts to students who have good grades. You may even be in the military or planning on joining which could help you qualify for even better rates. If you are involved in any kind of organization or something in your life changes, like marriage, find out if this effects your insurance rates.
- The car you drive will also determine your car insurance rates. The safer the car the better the premiums. So if you go car shopping think about side air bags over a DVD player. If you can include any type of anti-theft deterrent this helps as well. Including an anti-theft device and safety features will help lower your car insurance costs.
Other Ways to Save
Whether you want to buy auto insurance for women or any type of policy there are things that can affect the premium amounts. Consider this:
- Pay annually and save big – If possible, you should try to pay for your insurance premiums on a basis other than monthly. Annually, every six months or even quarterly can bring you much better savings. Ask about discounts for paying some way other than monthly and watch how much it could help.
- Pay the down payment up front – When you start a new policy there is often a down payment required. While it can be tempting to take the offer of having this broken down into smaller monthly payments it usually comes with an extra fee as well as increases your premiums. If at all possible pay the upfront cost up front.
- Consider the deductible – The deductible is what you pay from your own pocket in the event of a claim before the insurance provider starts paying. So, if you have a $500 deductible and the dame is only $450 all of this would still be yours to pay. The problem is many drivers take a low deductible but this makes your premiums much higher. Of course, you do not want to go overboard and take too high a deductible because it may be hard to come up with if you have an accident. Somewhere around $500 to $750 is usually a good deductible that will also help keep your auto insurance premiums lower.
The best way to find out how to save is to compare rates. Simply enter your zip code and you can be on your way to finding the cheapest way to buy auto insurance for women.