About Encompass Insurance
Encompass Insurance, was founded in 2000, but it existed in another form as far back as 1897. The trail looks like this: it is currently a branch of The Allstate Corporation, which purchased the company from CNA Financial in 1999. CNA Financial was incorporated in 1967 and its main subsidiary was founded in 1897. Allstate’s purchase represented Encompass Insurance’s shift from commercial coverage toward more personal insurance offerings. The company currently sells its policies exclusively through over 2,400 independent agents.
Encompass is headquartered in Northbrook, Illinois and provides coverage across 39 US states. The insurance provider is led by President Mark Green, who joined Encompass Insurance in 2015. He began his career as an underwriter for Chubb Insurance Group and worked his way up over 25 years in the industry. Other company leaders include VP of Sales and Marketing Dan Maloney, VP of Product Operations Sharon Dean, VP of Claims Karen Schecht, Chief Financial Officer Tom Watson and Director of Operations Mary Zagorski.
The following ratings are all ratings from the independent ratings company A.M. Best. A.M. Best’s ratings are on a scale from A++ (superior) to D (poor).
- Encompass Insurance Company:
- A+ Superior
- Long-Term Issuer Credit Rating (ICR): aa- with an outlook of stable
- Encompass has maintained these ratings for at least the last five years in a row
- Encompass Insurance Company of New Jersey and Encompass Property and Casualty Insurance Company of New Jersey (same rating as their parent company, Allstate New Jersey Insurance Company): A-
- Encompass Floridian Indemnity Company and Encompass Floridian Insurance Company (same rating as their parent company, Castle Key Insurance Company): B-
Pros and Cons
Auto Insurance Discounts
Please note that the availability of the following discounts varies by state and policy:
- Owning a Home
- Simply being a homeowner, whether it be a house, condo, townhouse or mobile home, is enough to get you an auto discount with Encompass.
- Sign Up for Encompass Automatic Payments
- If you set up Encompass’s automatic payment feature so that the money is automatically taken out of your account at set points, then that will earn you savings.
- Safe Driver
- This is a common way to save money with auto insurance companies. If you have a clean driving record for a set period of time, Encompass will offer a discount on an auto insurance policy. Safe drivers are less likely to get in accidents and thus less likely to file claims.
- Issuing a Policy Before its Effective Date
- If you issue an auto policy seven or more days before its set effective date, you may be eligible for savings with Encompass.
- Buy New
- Buying a new car, rather than purchasing a used one, will save you money on your policy.
- Good Payer Discount
- It benefits you to stay on top of your insurance payments.
- Defensive Driving Course
- Completing an Encompass-approved driving course will garner you discounts. The hope is that learning defensive driving skills will make you an overall safer driver.
- Install Anti-Lock Brakes
- Making your car safer by installing two or four wheel Anti-Lock Braking Systems can help lower your premiums.
- Install Anti-Theft Devices
- Another way to save is by adding another layer of protection to your vehicle with anti-theft devices. Some device types include passive, active special lock and VIN etching.
- Quality Passive Restraints
- Having factory installed seat belts and air bags could save you money on a medical/personal injury protection policy with Encompass Insurance.
- Good Student
- If your student driver maintains a GPA of 3.0 or above, then that could save money on your student driver’s policy. Students are generally considered high-risk drivers and this focus on schoolwork displays a level responsibility for the individual, which insurance companies appreciate. Proof of grades must come from a school certified statement each year.
- Driver’s Education
- Drivers under the age of 21 can also show responsibility and achieve discounts by completing a driver’s training course and logging a certain amount of hours getting real driving experience.
- Residing at School, While Car Stays at Home
- If a student lives at school, which is at least 100 miles away from home where their car resides, then that shows they do not drive it often and thus could earn them savings on their policy.
- New Car Replacement: If your car is totaled in an accident for which you are covered, Encompass will replace it and all you would be responsible for is the policy’s deductible. Some of the catches are that your vehicle must be four model years old or younger and you must be the original car owner.
- Accident Forgiveness: Encompass Insurance’s accident forgiveness policy prevents your rates from shooting up after more than just your first at-fault accident. This feature is only available when you upgrade to the company’s Elite policy.
- Loan or Lease Gap: This coverage is designed to protect you from making large payments that exceed the value of your now depreciated vehicle.
- Roadside Assistance: The company offers 24/7 roadside assistance for help with things like flat tires or towing needs. Encompass has an app on Android and iOS to make this process easier. This feature is included in the coverage with the company’s Elite auto policy.
- Auto Insurance for Teens: Getting coverage for new drivers can be expensive. Encompass claims that upgrading to their Elite policy has features in place to help reduce the monetary impact.
- Homeowners: Some ways to save on homeowners insurance with Encompass are to install a home security system, if your house is under 49 years old and by bundling with other policies.
- Condo: This coverage offers things like mortgage rate protection, freedom to allocate your location limits and increased building costs.
- Renters: This policy provides personal injury protection, computer and data recovery, water damage protection and coverage for jewelry and fur.
- Personal Umbrella Protection
- Encompass Lifestyle Endorsement
- Home Business Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance: The company’s offerings for motorcycles include guest passenger liability, comprehensive and collision and uninsured/underinsured.
- Recreational Vehicle (RV) Insurance
- Boat and Watercraft Insurance
- Identity Theft Protection
BuyAutoInsurance.com is not affiliated with Encompass Insurance
- Encompass Insurance Website: http://www.encompassinsurance.com
- Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encompass_Insurance_Company
- A.M. Best: http://www3.ambest.com/ratings/entities/CompanyProfile.aspx?ambnum=11703&URatingId=50022&AltNum=0