Any driver with common sense realizes the dangers involved when driving without insurance coverage. Of course, if you go 30 or more days without any type of car insurance policy, you could even be considered a higher risk driver and forced to pay higher rates for auto insurance coverage. Whether you need the state minimum coverage where you live, non owner’s insurance to borrow someone’s car or short term coverage before you decide on a long term policy, you must carry insurance.
So it should come as no real surprise that you can even opt to get one day car insurance. This may sound like a strange request, but think about all the times that you could possibly have used or could still use one day car insurance:
- If you don’t already have insurance and want to borrow someone else’s car for a day, you still must have auto insurance coverage. Even if this person claims his or her own policy will cover you, this may not be accurate. Many insurance policy holders make the mistake of thinking they have this kind of coverage but do not. So whether you are renting a van for a day to move items from storage or borrowing your best friend’s car to run errands, you must be insured.
- Maybe you are going on vacation and only need to drive one day while on the trip, or to get to the airport. This is common in walking cities such as New York where many people do not even own cars. However when it comes time to take a trip, they may need to drive to the airport or for a day during the trip.
- If you are getting ready to take your driver’s test, you still need to use a car and be insured while doing so. Hopefully the results of the test will come out positive so you can get your driver’s license and your own long term auto insurance coverage. However, for that day you will need to buy one day car insurance.
Don’t take the gamble and assume nothing will happen. No one plans for an accident. The bottom line is that uninsured motorists who intend to get behind the wheel need some type of coverage to make it legal.
There’s More to It Than You Think
It can be especially important to buy one day car insurance if you are planning to cross a state line, or several. Laws of different states have different guidelines. You may live in a state that you think is more lenient, but cross into another state and you may not be so lucky. Not to mention if you do have a collision, guess who will be left financially responsible for damages you cause.
In fact even if you are involved in a collision and are not at fault, driving without car insurance of some sort means driving illegally. So more than likely you would not get compensated for your own expenses, even if the other driver was at fault. Avoid tickets, points against your driver’s license and possible hefty fines by getting at least one day auto insurance coverage for occasional use.
- Regardless of the reason, if you do not have your own long term coverage policy, you need some sort of short term policy to drive legally.
- This may even help you avoid future problems. Drivers who go 30 days or more without auto insurance coverage may be considered higher risk drivers. So using short term policies while getting your long term policy back in place can help avoid this.
- If you intend to drive more than a day with someone else’s vehicle, it may be time to consider getting non owner’s car insurance instead of a one day car insurance policy.
- Many drivers make the mistake of thinking if they rent a car they are covered by the policy the rental agency offers. Without really reviewing the coverage, you should realize most agencies assume drivers are getting their own policy and the one offered is usually terrible coverage at exuberant rates. Get better prices with better coverage with your own one day auto policy in place.
The thing to keep in mind above all else is getting your one day policy can be as easy as typing in your zip code. When you want FREE quotes from companies competing for your business, this is the fastest and easiest way to make it happen. You can be on your way in no time to buy one day car insurance and be protected against legal and financial issues.