You may not think it is possible to buy cheap car insurance online, but you may be quite pleasantly surprised. Not only can you find cheap auto insurance, it is much easier to go this route to get quotes and secure a policy. Do not settle for higher premiums and less coverage than you want. All you really need is to let the rates come to you so you can make a decision.
However, there are a few things you may need to know about auto coverage before you buy cheap car insurance online. For example:
- Your rates depend on how much coverage you are required to have by the where state you live.
- Your premiums will also vary depending on whether or not your car is financed.
- If possible, it is a good idea to get what you need and then add what you want.
- Even your zip code will influence the type of rates you can expect to see.
- The type of car you drive will affect your rates.
- You may be eligible for better rates and discounts and not even realize it.
What You Should Know about Coverage
If you want to buy cheap car insurance online, you should be aware of what type of auto insurance coverage you need. There are many different types of policies out there, and it is about getting what you are required to have in addition to what you want. So consider this:
- Liability – This is a type of basic coverage and is what many states require as the minimum. Almost every state requires drivers to have auto insurance coverage to be behind the wheel of a car legally. Liability covers the other driver but not your own car or medical bills. The amount required by the state varies by state, so it is important to make sure you change your policy if you should move to another state.
- PIP or No Fault – Other states require this as the state minimum to drive legally. Keep in mind if you are caught driving without the required amount of car insurance you can get tickets and fines. Not to mention you will have higher premiums when you do try to get a policy in order. PIP stands for personal injury protection and is basically the same as no fault insurance. Both of these boil down to taking care of the insured driver’s expenses resulting from an accident regardless of who is at fault. This was set in place to make sure any person injured in an accident could get immediate medical treatment instead of waiting to hash out the details of an insurance policy first.
- Collision – When you decide to buy cheap car insurance online, you will probably see collision as one of the types of policies you can get. Collision can mean different things to different policy providers, however. Be careful when choosing one to make sure it covers everything you want and need, even if you have to add more coverage options. Collision covers your car and medical expenses should you have an accident and are deemed the at fault driver. However, for many policy providers it doesn’t cover certain type of collisions.
- Comprehensive – This is where many drivers make up for what collision doesn’t cover. If you want coverage for things such as fire damage, storm damage, theft, collisions with animals or other situations other policies leave out, comprehensive probably has what you need. Make sure you don’t leave any holes in your policy if you want to be sure you are completely covered.
- GAP – Another thing to consider when you want to buy cheap car insurance online is whether or not you need GAP coverage. GAP stands for guaranteed auto protection and is important for those drivers with a fully financed or leased vehicle. When you get insurance for a new financed car, the value insured and the amount you owe are not the same. So if you should have your car totaled or stolen, you will still owe for the difference from out of your own pocket. This can literally be thousands of dollars. GAP insurance fills in the gaps in your coverage for those cases.
Impacting Your Rates
Browsing through how to buy cheap car insurance online will make you realize how many factors affect the premiums you may be paying. The great thing is when you get quotes, you won’t really have to be sure you ask for coverage on all of what you need. You should be able to give the right data to make sure you get all the coverage you need. If you want extra that is up to you. Many drivers find that they can afford to have more coverage than before and at lower rates still when they get their quotes to compare.
So what else can affect your rates?
- Where you park your car at night. Is it safely inside a garage in a quiet residential area or on the street in a more urban setting with higher crime rates?
- The safety features on your car. Is your car a flashy convertible or packed full of family friendly safety features and anti-theft devices?
- Your driving record. Obviously if you have avoided tickets and accidents, you will have lower rates. To make sure if you have a current policy and your accidents or tickets are more than three years old, you can check with your provider to see if it is time to see your rates drop now.
- The amount of your deductible. The higher the deductible the lower the rates, but don’t raise the deductible so high you cannot possibly afford it should you need to use your policy.
Want to find out how affordable it really can be? All you need to get started is just your zip code. In no time, you can buy cheap car insurance online and have you and your car protected.