Being young is so wonderful. There are so many firsts. Your first job. Your first date. Your first prom. Of course, there is also your first car, which you are going to need to have insurance for. Unfortunately, when you are a young driver, you may be subjected to higher insurance rates. If you are looking to buy auto insurance for 18 year olds, or teens who are even younger, you are really going to have to shop around to make sure you are getting the best deals.
Why are Younger Drivers so Hard to Insure?
The main reason why it is so expensive to buy insurance for teenagers is because they lack the driving experience that older drivers have. But, this shouldn’t be a reason to have to pay higher insurance rates. After all, just because you are young, it doesn’t mean that you are going to be a dangerous or irresponsible driver. The problem is you have to be able to prove that you are a good driver, and without having had a few years of experience on the roads, this can be quite difficult to do.
How to Save Money on Auto Insurance
One of the first things you should do is take a driver training course. If these programs are not offered at your high school, you can contact your local Department of Motor Vehicles to find out where you can take the course. These courses teach you how to drive safely and defensively, and help people to become responsible drivers. Having one of these courses under your belt can really help you save money when you want to buy auto insurance for 18 year olds. This is just one way that you can save money. Other ways include:
- Use your parents insurance – If your parents will allow it, have your name added to their insurance policy. If you are going to be driving your own vehicle, make sure that your insurance covers the basic minimum amount of liability that is required by the state, as well as additional coverage if possible. More than likely, you will enjoy the same coverage that your parents enjoy. If you are just going to be driving one of your parents’ vehicles for the time being, you just need to make sure that you are named on the policy. Not only will this help you save money now, but it will also help you when it comes time to get auto insurance in your own name, because you will have already had insurance coverage.
- Buy a “safe” vehicle – The safer the vehicle you own, the less expensive your insurance rates are going to be. If you are like most young people, you are probably interested in getting a flashy sports car. The only problem with this is that the sportier the vehicle, the more expensive insurance coverage is going to be. It is much less expensive to have a boring sedan than a fun, two-door model that goes super-fast. You may not look as cool, but you will feel pretty cool when you have more money than your friends do because you are saving money on your insurance premiums.
- Get good grades – Many insurance companies will offer discounts to students who maintain a certain grade level. Not only is this going to help you save money, but by making sure that you are getting good auto insurance rates, you are also making sure that you are going to be able to get into the college of your choice.
- Be a safe driver – If you got your driver’s license when you were 16, by the time you are 18 you will have had two years of driving experience. As long as you have been able to maintain a clean driving record, you will be able to prove to insurance companies that you are a safe driver. As you get older, you can expect your insurance rates to drop, because you will have more experience on the road.
Setting the Ground Rules
If you are a parent, you need to set certain ground rules about your teenagers driving. When you want to buy auto insurance for 18 year olds, you need to make sure that you are not going to be wasting your money. After all, insurance may not be the most expensive thing in the world, but it is not cheap either. If your teenager wants to drive, here are some of the ways that you can ensure they will be safe while on the road:
- Make sure they have plenty of road experience with a licensed driver before allowing them to be on the roads alone.
- Enroll them in an approved driver training program so you know that they understand all of the rules of the road, and that they have the skills needed to avoid accidents whenever possible.
- Depending on the age of your teens, set curfews. This may be difficult with an 18 year old, but if they are living under your roof and using your vehicle, you are entitled to have a few rules, such as wanting to have your vehicle, and your teen, home by a certain time at night.
Getting Good Insurance Rates for Young Drivers
Not all insurance companies offer the same products, rates and discounts, and it pays to shop around when you are going to buy auto insurance for 18 year olds. You do not even have to bother visiting insurance companies or making a lot of telephone calls, both of which can take too much time out of your busy day. You can get all kinds of free quotes online. We can get the quotes for you, and all you have to do is fill out a short form to let us know what your particular insurance needs are. It only takes a few minutes, and it is one of the best ways to find out which insurers in your area are offering the best discounts for young drivers.